VETERAN’S NEWS From the Internet
We did it!
We asked veterans’ advocates like you to contact their Representatives and Senators and demand they reject any proposal in the fiscal year 2018 National Defense Authorization Act (FY18 NDAA) that would have raised TRICARE costs for current beneficiaries.
Our voices were heard, and this provision was not included in the final piece of legislation! THANK YOU.
Last year’s NDAA contained language that significantly increases TRICARE costs for those joining after Jan. 1, 2018; however, a clause was inserted that prevented these increases from applying to current service members and retirees. The FY18 NDAA contained a provision that would have removed this grandfather clause; however, after immense pressure from the VFW, the clause was left in place.
Congress has now voted on and passed the final version of the bill, which contained multiple provisions that the VFW advocated for, such as:
- A 2.4% pay increase for our service members.
- The preservation of Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for dual-military families.
- The permanent extension of the Special Survivor Indemnity Allowance (SSIA).
- A requirement to review and release classified documents related to toxic exposures if more than 100 service members were intentionally exposed to a substance that has caused at least one of them to become ill.
- The strengthening of current DOD sexual assault policies and extended protections for victims.
Together, our vigilance and persistence is key in the fight against harmful legislation and bad policy. We urge you to watch your email for more critical updates and to remain steadfast in the fight for veterans’ rights.